Monday 21 September 2015

September 21st

Updates:
-This morning, an idea that had been lurking in the depths of my brain for a long time suddenly came to the surface. I remembered that Harvard (as well as MIT and, I believe, quite a few other schools now) offers free online courses. I want to keep my mind sharp during this between-school-and-job interlude, so I went to investigate and found out you can actually get a certificate of completion for these. I tried to sign up for a course on Neuroscience, but it had been moved to a new platform that doesn't seem to be working. So I signed up for a course on International Law. You can't say I don't have a wide variety of interests!
-I had my first session (in a couple years, at least) volunteering in my church's nursery. The kids were lovely. One of them came from a French-speaking family, so I got to speak French to her. C'était génial!
-I had another voice lesson, which went infinitely better than the last one. My teacher Jordan is fantastic, and thinks in the same framework of metaphors that I do. Hooray for progress!
-I recently acquired a NOOK and it's the best decision I've ever made (except for things like continuing my education, getting regular exercise, and so forth.) It's already halfway to paying for itself, with the amount of money I've saved getting ebooks instead of regular books. I've acquired books I wouldn't have been able to justify buying otherwise. I'm sinking my teeth into Stephen Jay Gould's outstanding The Mismeasure of Man (which should be required reading for everyone in the Western world), and I'm also enjoying Olivier Magny's hilarious Stuff Parisians Like.
-I went to the library to renew my Philosophy of Science course and found that the course on the history of London had reappeared as mysteriously as it disappeared. Best of all, this time Part 2, which I needed, was there! Hooray!

Goals:
-Sign up for a ballet class (and possibly a modern ballet class, too.) I've been wanting to study ballet my entire life, but for a long time I wasn't able to. Finally, over the past few years, I've gotten to take some scattered courses in ballet and modern dance. It felt awesome to use my brain in a way I never had before. I was terrible at it... but by the end of the class I was significantly less terrible than I was before! I learned so much and was really proud of the progress I made. It's definitely something I want to keep doing for as long as I can. It's an awesome way to stay fit. And dance is fantastic for your brain! What more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment